Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I can't stand feminists! and can women play squash better than men?

Last Saturday I went with my Uncle to our local squash courts. A few months ago I had started to learn how to play squash and had really enjoyed myself hence my return to the squash court.

After a game, one of the members started to chat to me ( all the members were male, I was the only female there) and asked ' So, what do you do?' and I replied ' I work for the African Women's Development Fund'. His response? ' ' Is that a women's organisation? Are you a feminist? My response ' Yes', to which he retorted ' I can't stand feminists! So are you trying to say women can play squash better than men'. I simply replied 'I wish it was as simple as that'.

Honestly I was in no mood to engage with a narrow minded person who has pre-conceived ideas of who or what a feminist is? In the past I have had too many arguments with many such people and the result is often me fuming, angry and my blood pressure probably way higher than it ought to be. Why did this man think this squash club at 10am on a Saturday morning was only full of men? In an earlier conversation (before he found out I was a feminist) he said to me that he looked forward to playing squash on Saturdays. I wonder if his wife/partner has that luxury. Where were all the women on Saturday morning? Knowing Ghanaian society the way I do, the women were probably at the market shopping for food or at home making sure food will be available for these men when they return from their squash games.

Men who hate feminists do not get the subtle nuances behind comments made in my presence about me whilst at the squash club:

Nana's Uncle: (Introducing me) This is my daughter, my brother's daughter whom I told you about, she wants to learn how to play squash

Man 1: Nice to meet you

Man 2: Is this the one you said you will give to X

Nana's Uncle: I never said that

Man 1 and Man 2: (laughing and teasing my Uncle)

Nana: (thinking, for goodness sake, I am not a possession and are there any female squash clubs about?)

Of course Mr feminist hater would be oblivious to the insidious nature of comments such as these. If I had responded they would probably all have been shocked. We were only joking they would probably have cried out! Gosh you feminists are so sensitive. Are we? Am I? Should I have responded in an assertive manner to Mr feminist hater and the group of men making jokes about me being a gift? Your thoughts please.

Nana Sekyiamah
Programme Officer
Fundraiser & Communications

No comments: