Monday, September 1, 2008

Why I do what I do

I am really looking forward to the 'Women Raising Millions Training Program' that I am attending next week in San Francisco, an interactive program designed to propel fundraisers to the next meeting. The trainers have generously agreed that I can update this blog (with the proper references of course) with some of the tips, techniques and knowledge that I will gain from this course.

One of our pre-assignments has been to write a personal introduction to other participants on 'the one thing' that has influenced me to be where I am today. Now that really got me thinking, 'Why do I do what I do?' My introduction to my fellow participants is below. Let me know your thoughts?

Mummy why do you have to prepare food for Daddy’?
Sisi, can you come and help me? Mummy, I am reading my book’.
Ei Sisi! One day you will allow someone to insult me (direct translation from Akan into English)’ in response to my persistent lack of interest in cooking.

As a child I was aware (probably on an unconscious level) of the differences between men and women. One of my clearest memories is of my Mum complaining that she would have to prepare food for my Dad very late in the day…My Dad worked in the civil service and after work would play squash with his friends. After squash, Dad would have a couple of beers and peanuts with his friends at the Officer’s Mess near the squash court where they played. On his way home Daddy would often stop to purchase Kenkey and Fish (a staple Ghanaian dish) sold by the roadside for his dinner. Mummy would be responsible for ensuring there was fresh pepper to accompany the meal, the table was set and would have to sit by my Dad whilst he ate. Dinner for Dad would usually be anytime between 10pm and 11pm.

Now the one thing that I did not understand was why my Mum would complain about having to prepare (or serve) dinner so late. I used to think ‘Why are you doing this if you don’t want to’. I remember saying to my Dad ‘When I get married I won’t cook for my husband’. So how has all of this led me to where I am today? I felt a sense of injustice in female – male relations and it was only after reading the works of feminists such as bell hooks that I understood why my Mum would have to prepare dinner for my Dad and why my Dad expected my Mum to do so…

I passionately believe that we can live in a world where women’s rights and women’s bodies are held sacrosanct. I passionately believe that we can live in a world where women and men co-exist in peace. I passionately believe that we can live in a world where women and men share housework and care-work. Working to create such a world is the reason why I work today for the African Women’s Development Fund, a grant-making foundation for African women which provides financial, technical and capacity building assistance to African women’s organisations.

Nana Sekyiamah
Programme Officer
Fundraising & Communications
African Women’s Development Fund

No comments: