Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Kinshasha to Mbuji Mayi

My colleague Nana (Communication and Fundraising Programme Officer) and I had been in Kinshassa for 2 days as part of a mission organized by the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA) in partnership with AWDF, Global Fund for Women and Women’s Rights Activists from Swaziland, Zimbabwe and Guinea. As part of our mission and together with other members of the delegation, we were to travel to the province of Mbuji Mayi, a mining town in the Democratic Republic of Congo to witness the appalling working conditions of women in the mines. Our flight was scheduled for 10 am and because of the heavy traffic on the road to the airport it was advisable to leave for the airport at 7 .15am. When we arrived at the local airport, policemen dressed in light and navy blue welcomed us with “Montrez votre billet” which translated into English means “Show me your ticket”. I asked myself ‘when will security personnel ever stop intimidating innocent civilians'? We were allowed in the main hall where there was a huge gathering around 2 or 3 people who were the check out staff. It looked as if there was a commodity of high demand and low supply being sold and everybody wanted a share of it. After the long, drawn out check in process, all members of the team were directed to the passengers’ lounge, where we were all required to produce our passports (as if it was written on our foreheads that we were foreigners in the country) although this was a domestic flight. I could see from the face of the immigration officer that he was just looking for the slightest mistake to start drama. This whole scene reminded me of the revolutionary period in Benin, where one had to apply for an exit visa before traveling. Luckily for us everything was ok and we went to our boarding gate to wait for the flight, which eventually landed around 1pm and we took off around 2.45pm. All appointments scheduled for 2pm in Mbuji Mayi had to be postponed as we had no control over the flight schedule. Once on board I noticed the presence of an intimidating body guard with a huge gun and my mind started wandering again. So many scenarios crossed my mind but I remained optimistic. Then I was told that the governor of the province was on the flight. Well, all I wanted was to reach my destination without having to go through any complications.

As the plane was about to land, I noticed to my surprise some men in uniform lined up as if the Head of State was landing. I thought such grandiose welcomes for governors stopped when African states achieved their independence. At least this is what I know of in the Republic of Benin. My colleague Nana could not believe what she saw and confessed she had never seen such a spectacle in her life.

We were also given VIP treatment as from the plane we were ushered through the VIP lounge by members of the local organizing committee of the mission. We were also considered as important personalities after all. As we were about to enter the car to go to our first meeting in Mbuyi Mayi, people started running from all corners. I said to myself,’I hope this is not the beginning of public unrest in the province’, then we realized that security personnel dressed as civilians as well as other people had to run into their cars to join the convoy following the Governor to his residence. All this was part of the ceremony to welcome the Governor of the province. I wondered what it would be like if it were the President of the country visiting the province. I have seldom seen such protocol given to even Prime Ministers. Unbelievable!!!

From the airport the delegation paid a courtesy visit to the President of the National Assembly of Mbuji Maye, Hon Xavier Kabala Ilunga who was really impressed by this solidarity initiative taken by sisters from other countries and who expressed concern about the plight of women in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I was quite impressed to see that the Vice Chair of the provincial Assembly and the Treasurer were both elegant and eloquent women. However women’s representation in the provincial assembly structure was quite low and personally I still hope that one day our struggle for women’s liberation will yield sustainable results including parity in political structures.

Rissi Assani-Alabi
Francophone Programme Officer/Executive Assistant
AWDF

No comments: