Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Aging: What are your thoughts on it?

Over the weekend, I attended the final funeral rites of a close relative at one of the suburbs in Accra. Unfortunately for me, most of the activities during the church service were in Ga, the local language spoken by the people of Accra for which I neither speak nor understand. So to while away the time, I decided to do what I do best when I am bored; observe my surroundings and watch those coming in and leaving the church. This funeral was for an 80 year old man, and so quite a number of those who attended the church service were octogenarians. What struck me as I observed most of them slowly walking towards the entrance were the different forms of age associated disabilities that they had.

Some used walking sticks while others used sigma frames as walking aids, and a few others were held by the arm and directed to their seats.

As I observed these senior citizens, I was reminded once again of the fact that life indeed is a journey and throughout the long journey aging is one of the certainties that every one will come face to face with.

In our youth we sometimes forget about the fact that a time will come when we will be unable to do some of the things we love to do because we will be weak, deaf, dumb, frail, and blind, or have physical and mental disabilities as a result of aging.

This is what Maya Angelou, one of my favourite all time writers wrote in her book “ Even the stars look lonesome” on Aging: “At sixty my body, which had never displayed a mind of its own turned obstreperous, opinionated, and deliberately treacherous. The skin on my thighs became lumpy, my waist thickened and my breasts- its better not to mention them at all except to say that they seemed to be in a race to see which could be the first to reach my knees.”

I am only in my mid thirties and in the past decade I have seen my own body undergo various forms of transformation; my waist of course has thickened and as for my breasts I will not describe them at all.

The physical changes in the body as one age is very obvious and I think for women it is even more difficult because directly or indirectly, society puts a lot of emphasis on our physical attributes as a measure of our worth. Sometimes I wonder whether that is the reason why a lot of women shy from mentioning their correct age as if it is a crime for women to grow old.

I personally think that aging is a reminder to us that our life on earth will certainly end one day. The question is “how do we live our lives so that the end is full of memorable adventures”. My recipe for a fulfilling life journey includes;
• make the best out of every situation
• live your life to the fullest
• plan your retirement as soon as you start working
• take good care of your body both physically and spiritually.
• try new and exciting things and
• above all do not forget your creator.

Nobody should waste time grieving about growing old. Instead, begin another exciting chapter of your life today because you and only you hold the key that can make things happen. Are you still afraid of aging?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is certainly a good remainder.The 1st time I gave it a thought was during the 2007 June Board and staff meeting,after that........

This is one of the lessons in life that we normally fail to see, talk about learn from it.

I think whenever we look in the mirror,we should be reminded

Mavis

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reminders, Ageing, am sure is one of the inevitable part of life, therefore one need to make the best of life, so when you are been held by your grand children some years to come, you will have no regrets. Make the best of your youth, enjoy and try new things.

HAG