Saturday, January 10, 2009

Audacious hope for 2009

I have only just started reading Barack Obama's 'The Audacity of Hope'. I am literally only a few pages into the book, Barack describes a restlessness that characterises him and other politicians he knows. For himself he describes as a weakness 'an inability to appreciate no matter how well things were going, those blessings that were right there in front of me.' That's a sentiment I can echo and got me thinking about my blessings in 2008:

* I found a job in my native Ghana and moved home from London.
* I started writing a monthly column for a parenting magazine.
* Through my job I had the opportunity to travel to countries I had never visited including South Africa, Mexico and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
* I met some amazing inspirational women - Ama Ata Aidoo and Pregs Govender spring to mind.
* I had the opportunity to start my life from scratch and create new dreams, opportunities and ambitions.

For 2009 I look forward to:

* Starting a bead making course
* Taking a weekend break every 3 months (as I resolved to do in a previous blog post after reading 'What's the point of the Revolution if we cannot dance'
* Making time to collate and transcribe my grand aunt's oral herstory
* Becoming a card carrying member of my chosen political party, and being more politically active.

What are you looking forward to doing in 2009?

Nana Sekyiamah
Programme Officer
Fundraising & Communication

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This year, I want to be more like you! I want to move back home, become more social, be more engaged in my community, have loads of inspiring conversations, and learn from those who have lived lives less ordinary.

But I'll leave the politics to you! There are those who have the strength to get down in the mud, fight with the sharks, but come out unsullied - but I do not believe that I'm one of those beautiful ones.

I read most of eulogies to Kwadwo Baah-Wiredu. Although people tend to only focus on the good when one passes away, it is abundantly clear that he was certainly one of the beautiful ones! So maybe they have been born - and I have no doubt that you're one of them too! I wholeheartedly support your interest in becoming a card carrying member, of a party of your choosing, and have no doubt that you'll leave an enduring legacy.

In the meantime, I'll prep myself to stand on the side lines and cheer at the top of my lungs!