Friday, January 30, 2009

Corruption in Africa and the role of accountants

I have been the Finance Manager of the African Women’s Development Fund since August 2007 and despite all the challenges that come with this job, I have enjoyed every day with this organisation. I started my accounting profession working for an audit firm and I had the opportunity of learning at first hand what all the business sectors in Ghana have to offer. It was during this period that I decided that I would like to work with an NGO that is engaged in community service. Of course I was also certain that I would only work with an NGO with a vision and mission that meets my own career aspirations and AWDF is just the right organisation.

Over the years I have developed a keen interest in the issue of corruption in Africa. Our governments continue to promise zero tolerance for corruption in their various manifestos and campaign messages but are unable to translate this into a reality. I was expecting the NPP government in Ghana for instance to have done far more to fight the corruption in Ghana than they did in their eight year term in office.

There are various types of corruption but the one I want to dwell on is where individuals inflate prices on contracts and get huge “kick backs” or payments are made to beneficiaries who have not rendered any service to the state. This has led to situations where the state has lost huge sums of money. Money which could other wise have been used to develop the education and health sector; the key areas of importance in any developing country. Experts have linked the poverty levels in the country to the extent of corruption within both the state and the private sector.

The role of an accountant is very critical in ensuring good governance and accountability in any organisation. The accountant is the one whose primary responsibility is to ensure that the scenarios as I have indicated above do not materilaise or even if they do, their impact is insignificant.

The accountancy profession is based on a code of conduct that all members are expected to comply with. The fundamental principles of the profession include but are not limited to integrity, objectivity, confidentiality, professional behaviour, professional competence and due care.

I know through my years of experience that professionals who exhibit the principles above will not condone malpractices that will lead to the state or private sector losing huge sums of money. However in cases where these principles are lacking, the organisation is bound to lose because there will be no accountability.

I will entreat my colleagues in the profession to continue to uphold the values of the profession. Let us be seen as the once who will tell the truth at all times. Ghana will never get to the middle income status if people in responsible positions continue to waste resources at the expense of the tax payer.

Gertrude Bibi Annoh-Quarshie
Finance Manager

No comments: